Welcome To The World Of Rummy
Indoor games are extremely popular with not just old timers but also kids and youngsters. At times when you cannot go out to play, chilling at home with family and friends, playing a game of cards is the perfect way to relieve tension. Apart from carom, playing cards are one of the most popular indoor games with a number of variants.
Teen Patti, poker, rummy are probably some of the most played games all over the world. Nowadays, thanks to the internet, one can play these games anytime, anywhere with almost anyone. No wonder, there are a number of sites as well as apps dedicated to online cash games, especially Rummy.
What Makes Rummy Popular?
Playing cards and its various games are not everyone’s cup of tea. If someone is good in Blackjack, it is not essential that they are masters of poker too. Different games offer a different perspective as well as are played by a different set of rules.
Some are suitable for kids like ‘Go Fish’ or ‘Crazy Eight’; some can be played alone like ‘Solitaire’ but some like Rummy can be played by kids, young and old alike. With simple and easy to understand rules, Rummy has emerged as one of the most popular card game, in both the online and offline versions.
Rules of Rummy
Rummy is an interesting card game that is easy to learn and enjoyable to play. You can play the traditional version with your family and friends or choose one of the numerous online version to play against anonymous players.
However, to have a great time playing the game, you need to develop some understanding about the rules of the game. Here’s a look at the most common Rummy Rules to Learn and Understand to enjoy the game:
- The game can be played by 2-6 players.
- It utilizes 2 decks of cards.
- A toss determines who starts the game.
- A random ‘joker’ is selected from the deck.
- Each player is dealt 13 cards from the deck.
- The top card is placed face visible while remaining cards remain closed.
- The purpose of the game is to make either sequence (3 or more consecutive cards of the same suit) or sets (3 or 4 cards of the same rank from different suits) with the 13 rummy cards.
- You can pick a card from the closed or the open deck and must discard one card to the open deck.
- You cannot pick up a card from the discard pile and throw it back on the pile.
- To win the game, a player has to arrange the 13 cards to form at least 2 sequences (1 pure i.e. excluding the joker) and/or sets. The 1st one to do so becomes a winner.
- The face cards i.e. K, Q & J are worth 10 points each, Ace card is worth 10 points while Joker has zero points. Ace can be used as 1 or as a face card. Remaining cards have face value.
Now that you have a general idea about how the game is played, here are a few tips that can go a long way to ensure that you maximize your chances of winning:
- A pure sequence is extremely important. You cannot win the game without it. Try to make a pure sequence at the beginning of the game itself.
- Since point tally is kept in the game, it is better to discard high point cards like J, Q, K and Ace in case you lose the game. Choose joker, wildcards or face value cards instead.
- Avoid picking up cards from the discarded pile if possible. Other players get an idea of your hand by seeing the card you’ve picked up.
- Before making a declaration, recheck your cards as an invalid declaration can make you lose a winning hand.
Rummy is one of the most famous indoor games in India and now that you know ‘how to play it?’. What are you waiting for? Go check out RummyCulture and join millions of other rummy players.