The aspirations of a large number of students and parents have been fulfilled due to increase of technical education Institutes in India during the last few years. At the same time a high degree of distortion in the types of institutions, the quality of their education, teaching-learning processes, adequacy of infrastructure and faculty has created a lot of confusion.
Growth of Engineering Colleges
Every year vast majority of students pass-out from these colleges but not all students have qualities which are essential in an engineering graduate and thus are unemployed or severely underemployed. The nation seems to be accumulating countless number of young people with shattered dreams, feeling frustrated by the injustice meted out to them by the engineering education system.
Total No. of Seats in 18 IITs is somewhere around 9562. After the IITs there are the National Institute of Technology commonly known as NIT’s. Total seats in NITs are somewhere around 16638 out of which 50% seats are under Home State Quota. IIIT’s forms the third group of Top Engineering Colleges in India. There are 13 IIITs with total number of seats approximately 1547.
There was a time in the history of Educational Institutions when demand was outstripping the supply and it was a sellers’ market due to availability of fewer seats. However the situation is slowly and gradually moving towards buyers’ market. As the market structure is undergoing rapid transformation in India, projection of technical manpower requirements based on market demand only will not be possible at this stage.
Recently in the month of October AICTE declared to cut 60% engineering seats for the academic session 2016-17. The decision has been taken so as to do away with the problem of Vacant Seats in the Engineering Colleges. In the present academic session 30 seats remain vacant in the departments and faculties of IIT Kharagpur and also in NIT Delhi and other institutes.
Top 10 other Engineering Colleges
IITs are considered to be the top engineering institutes and there are in all 18 IITs in the country. ISM Dhanbad is also equivalent to IITs and admission is based on JEE advanced. The Ranking for IITs is better for the older IITs and the newer IITs face competition from other Engineering Institutes in the country.
- Delhi Technological University earlier known as DCE
- PEC University of Technology, Punjab University
- Jadavpur University, Faculty of Engineering & Technology
- Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology
- College of Engineering, Anna University
- Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur
- BITS Pilani (You have to give online test called : BITSAT)
- College of Engineering, Trivandrum
- Model Engineering College, Thrikkakara
Top 10 Other Central Government/ State Government Funded Technical Institutes
(Other than NITs)
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi
- Institute of Infrastructure, Technology, Research and Management, Ahmedabad
- National Institute of Electronics and Information Technology, Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- Indian Institute of Carpet Technology, Bhadohi
- Institute of Technology, Guru GhasidasVishwavidhyalaya, Bilaspur
- School of Planning & Architecture, Bhopal
- School of Planning & Architecture, New Delhi
- National Institute of Foundry & Forge Technology, Hatia, Ranchi
- GurukulaKangriVishwavidyalaya, Haridwar
- J.K. Institute of Applied Physics & Technology, Department of Electronics & Communication, University of Allahabad- Allahabad. 🙂